Have you ever ran across someone who is constantly telling others that God told them that these people should do this or that? Many charismatic people believe that God is constantly speaking to them. My response to them would be, “Every thought that runs through your mind is not a direct command from God!”
I have heard them often say “God told me you should do this” or “God told me that you shouldn’t do that”. Now I am not implying that God does not communicate with His people. What I am saying is if we have no need for a priest to be an intermediary for us with God, then I don’t believe that God has to use an intermediary to speak to us either.
My biggest concern is the young Christian that does not know scripture well and then begin to rely on these so-called “God Whisperers”. When we as Christians place our trust into a human rather than placing it fully in God trouble begins brewing.
I see this as a two-pronged problem. First it is the people going around telling others what they should do with the emphasis on the command being directed by God Himself. The other is the fact that most of our church going population has not read the Bible in its entirety and therefore is ignorant of what the Word of God really says.
I did some informal research in 2010 about where the church and Christians stand when it comes to reading the Bible. Here are the statistics that I came up with.
– 70% of Americans say they believe in a personal God.
– Nearly 1/3 of Americans believe that the Bible is the actual word of God and should be taken literally.
– 47% of Americans believe that the Bible is divinely inspired.
– Fewer than 22% of Americans attend worship services each week.
– 17% of all Christians say that they tithe, 3% actually do.
– Occasional Bible readers have declined from 79% in the 80’s to 59%, according to a recent Gallop poll.
– Only 16% of Christians polled said that they read the Bible daily.
– Less than 10% of Christians have actually read the bible from Genesis to Revelation.
So from my research I can see why so many people listen to others as their source of information, inspiration, and guidance. This is not what God wants from us, we are not to be mere sheep following after someone just because everyone else is. We are supposed to be like the Bereans and compare everything we are told against scripture. We are to rightly divide the Word.